Thursday, January 8, 2009

53rd Anniversary

Today I finished the book "The Life and Testament of Jim Elliot: Shadow of the Almighty" by Elisabeth Elliot. The final chapter ends in this way "...on Sunday, January 8, 1956, the men for whom Jim Elliot had prayed for six years killed him and his four companions." It struck me that I finished the book on the anniversary of the death that brought about its birth. Isn't it amazing that God works through death to bring about life. He has done that in my life by raising me from death to life through the death of His Son Jesus. Through the death of Jim Elliot life was brought to countless numbers in Christ through those inspired by his life and death to follow him into the mission field. Eventually the same men that killed him found life in Christ as well. What an awesome God we have!

When I think of Jim Elliot I think of the quote often associated with him "He is no fool who gives that which he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." The quote that I will take from this book and his life is one he made in 1948 "God, I pray Thee, light these idle sticks of my life and may I burn for Thee. Consume my life, my God, for it is Thine. I seek not a long life, but a full one, like you, Lord Jesus." Wow! Thank You God for this challenge! May the cry of my heart be the same! May I live for You!

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

yall do such a good job blogging! loved the Christmas pictures. your kidsa re so precious. love the big picture at the top of the blog. :)